Health Tips - February 18, 2021
We spend a lot of time and resources taking care of other parts of the body. The eye is as essential as every other part of the body and the importance of taking care of it cannot be over-emphasized. Same way we put in so much to keep other parts of the body functioning, let us also make efforts to take good care of our eyes.
According to the National Blindness and Visual Important Survey in Nigeria conducted in 2005- 2007, it is estimated that over a million individuals between the ages of 35-40 years are currently blind in Nigeria and 2.7 million adults within the same age is estimated to have moderate visual impairment.
Here are some ways we can take proper care of the eyes.
1. Avoid Smoking: Smoking is a major cause of premature deaths in the world. It is popular knowledge that smoking affects the lungs and heart. Smoking also affects the eyes causing sight threatening sicknesses.
2. Wear Sunglasses: Exposure of the eyes to the sun’s UV rays can damage the eyes. Frequent exposure can build up issues which can have a permanent effect on the eyes. It can cause diseases such as cataracts, macular degeneration, skin cancer around the eyes, photo-conjunctivitis etc.
3. Sunglasses help protect the eyes from sunlight. Wrap-around sunglasses are very helpful in blocking the peripheral UV light which comes in around the edge of the frame.
4. Wear Protective Eye Wear: Protective eye wear is a safety equipment that helps to reduce hazard in the work place.
5. Get Regular Exercise and Healthy Diet: There is a connection between regular exercise and reducing risks for several eye ailments such as cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration. Eye diseases also result from high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy diet can help reduce them.
6. Regulate Your Lightening: When reading, it is advisable to use bright lights as poor lightening can cause eye strains. When watching television, leave the room softly lit. Adjust the lightening of phone screen and reduce glare. Choose the night mode setting if it is an option on your device or application in use.
7. Give Your Eye a Rest: Take breaks occasionally from work and give your eyes a rest.